posted Mar 1, 2013, 6:33 PM by Susan Briere
updated Mar 2, 2013, 10:55 AM
|Google recently updated the Create menu in Google Drive. It is designed to be easier to use. On the left you'll see the Drive apps; Documents, Presentations, Spreadsheets, Forms, and Drawings. On the right you'll see any third party apps that you've associated with your Google Drive.
One downside to the new design is losing the option to open a new document from template. This functionality has been removed from the new “Create” menu.
Currently, to create a new file from a template, open the appropriate editor (Docs, Sheets or Slides) and click on File > New > From template.
||But, wait! There's an option for putting the "From template" feature back on the Create menu. Add it back as a third party app.
- In Google Drive look for a "gear" icon located at the top right of the screen. (Might look like a daisy to some).
- Under that menu click on the option to Manage Apps. The Manage Apps window opens.
- At the top click on Connect more apps. The Add more apps window opens.
- In the Search box, top right, enter Drive Template Gallery and press <Enter>
- The Drive Template Gallery will appear in the listing window. Click on + Connect. Click OK.
- Voila! The From Template app appears on the right in the Create menu.